How to set up your Student Lounge and Resource Library Profile

admin

How to set up your Student Lounge and Resource Library Profile

Post by admin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:30 pm

This information will be used to set up your Resource Library profile as well as your Student Lounge profile.

When you log into the forum board, in the upper right corner you will see your user name and a little arrow. If you click on the arrow you will get a drop down menu with the following options:

User Control Panel
Log Out

When you click on User Control Panel you will pull up a new screen.

The first tab is the Overview.
Front Page
This tells you a few facts about your activity on the forum boards, when you joined, what board you have posted in that is the most active, what thread you have posted in the most.

Manage Subscriptions

This will show you if you are subscribed to threads or forums and you will be able to remove ones that you have followed if you choose not to follow it any more.

Manage Bookmarks

Again, same as above, but with bookmarks ( I will discuss this in another tutorial)

Manage Drafts

This is for if you save a draft of a post you are making. Some times you may be writing a lot and haven't completed it and save it as a draft, this is where you can find things you have saved and need to finish.

Manage Attachments
You will not have to worry about that, as attachments are not allowed.

Manage Notifications
If you signed up to be notified of specific things, such as posts to specific threads, or comments to posts you have made, or other notifications, you will find them here. You can read them and mark them as read in this section.

Next tab is the Profile Tab

Edit Profile -

Here you can add your birthday, you can put your location and add your other information such as your Facebook and Twitter usernames and what not All of these are optional

Edit Signature
Here you can put together your signature (this is disabled in the RL) You can put images or quotes or use fun colors or whatever you would like in your signature. These are attached to each of your posts, so be reasonable with it.

Edit Avatar
For avatars, you can upload an image or, when we have one set up, use an image from our avatar library. Maximum dimensions; width: 90 pixels, height: 90 pixels, file size: 6.00 KiB. Click on the drop box to choose Upload Avatar and locate one on your computer, or if you have a link to an avatar you can use that.

Edit Account Settings

Here is where you can change your password

Manage Remember Me Log In Keys
If you have clicked on the Remember Me when logging in, this is where it will tell you where you used that (the location and IP of the computer you have saved your passwords)

The third tab is Board Preferences

Edit Global Settings

Here you can choose different settings, set your time zone and all that.

Set Posting Defaults
Please put all of these as YES

Edit Display Option

Best to leave these as default, however you can turn Enable Word Censoring off.

Edit Notification Options
So the notifications you saw in tab one, well here is where you choose how you get notified. It will either send you an email to the email you signed up with, or simply a notification that you see when you log in, or both, or none. You can choose these, however for replies I suggest email or notification or both so you know if you have a reply without having to search through the forums.

The fourth tab is Private Messaging
Here you will see your inbox, and you can view your other options there and write PMs and all of that from here.

The fifth tab is Usergroups

These are automatic, when you join as a student you are automatically placed in the Student usergroup in the SL, and in the Registered User usergroup in the RL. When you become a teacher you are moved to the Teacher usergroup in the SL. For the most part you can just leave those as they are.

The final tab is Friends and Foes

If there are students that you communicate with a lot you can mark them as a friend. You can add them in this panel, or through the profile. Then when posts are made by your friends you will see they are highlighted (depending on the build according to the information, so it depends on the skin that is chosen for the forum boards, right now we have a basic one it came with.)

A foe is if there is a person who posts on the board you simply aren't seeing eye to eye with and you just do not want to see any posts by that person. Hopefully you won't have that happen, but it does from time to time....adding them as a foe means you will not see any posts by that person ever....use this sparingly and please do not foe any of the teachers, it is important you see their posts.

Now if you go back over to your username and that little arrow and click profile you can view your profile. You can also get to the profile edit screen from there as well.

Minnie

Re: How to set up your Student Lounge and Resource Library Profile

Post by Minnie » Thu May 18, 2017 9:34 am

For your images, you can actually go online and do a search for BB Avatars and icons and you can download ones you like that are already the right size.

Luna Maris
Phoenix Council

Post by Luna Maris » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Haz3l wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:00 pm
I can't find where to go to create my student blog. Ive looked everywhere, can you help?
Hi Haz3l! You will set up your blog as an assignment in Orientation. The information will be submitted in class. Hope that helps!

Truth is something you stumble into when you think you’re going someplace else

~Jerry Garcia

rachelmarie1313

Post by rachelmarie1313 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:55 pm

i cant find how to make my student blog private for only myself and teachers and TAs..? im not sure if ill need to, but i still want to know just incase im journaling about something i dont want open to the internet..

Luna Maris
Phoenix Council

Post by Luna Maris » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:35 am

rmarie13 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:55 pm
i cant find how to make my student blog private for only myself and teachers and TAs..? im not sure if ill need to, but i still want to know just incase im journaling about something i dont want open to the internet..
Hi Marie! All blogs are private now. In the past, there was a public option that would allow all students to read it but that's no longer available.

Truth is something you stumble into when you think you’re going someplace else

~Jerry Garcia